Casino bonuses: how do they work
We are not going to talk about every single kind of casino promotion - it would take us several extra pages to describe all the details of reload bonuses, refer-a-friend promos, and other online casino bonuses. No, we will focus only on the welcome bonuses. Let’s imagine that you are a newcomer who has just registered at a gambling site. What can you get as a welcome treat? This can be a certain amount of bonus credits or a bunch of free spins. In most cases, free spins are not really free, because in order to withdraw your winnings, you will have to wager them. For example, the winnings carry a wagering requirement of 30 times. This means that you will have to wager your winnings at least 30 times before you will be able to make a withdrawal request. For instance, your free spins brought you €100 of winnings. This means you will have to bet at least €3,000.
The wagering requirements work in the same way for deposit bonuses. For example, a casino offers a 100% bonus up to €300. Don’t forget to check the minimum deposit amount! Now you deposit, let’s say €40, and get €40 as a bonus. Some casinos require you to wager only the bonus money, but some of them demand that you wager the sum of your deposit and bonus. The thing is, certain gambling websites don’t really specify this, so you may get caught in a trap. However, our reviews will save you from these troubles.
In any case, it works like this: you get a bonus, meet all the wagering requirements, and then request a withdrawal. Sounds pretty simple, but there are several things you have to know.
Sticky and free play bonuses
Cool casinos allow you to withdraw the bonus after you are done with the wagering requirements, but some others do the opposite. Sometimes, the initial amount of your bonus is simply deducted from your winnings when you make a withdrawal. This is the worst scenario. Such non-withdrawable bonuses are called “sticky” or “phantom bonuses.” These receive the lowest scores.
A free play bonus is significantly more attractive. Such bonuses don’t require a deposit and you can get a huge amount of credits, register and it is yours! But the trick is that you will have a very limited amount of time to use this bonus. And don’t forget about the other possible restrictions.
What is the best casino bonus?
The previous paragraph sounded a bit scary, but keep calm - cool casino bonuses still exist! And we will tell you how to distinguish them from the disgusting ones. Obviously our reviews are the most reliable way (yeah, we are very modest), but you still have to know how things work, and what the phrase “a great casino bonus” actually means. These are the points we consider when rating a bonus:
- If we are talking about a casino deposit bonus, what are its percentage and amount? Is it at least 100% and €100? Great, then this bonus is already worth your attention. Smaller bonuses are not seen very often, but this doesn’t mean that they don’t exist. They do, and they don’t get the highest score.
- Are there any limits on winnings and bets? In most cases, online casinos establish restrictions on the maximum size of bets and the amount you can win with the bonus. These limits are not always bad, but if we find them in the casino’s terms and conditions, such a site will get a lower rating.
- Is a bonus withdrawable? If the answer is no, it will get a very low score even in case the other factors are just great.
- Is there a comp points program? At some casinos, you can earn so-called “comp points” while playing. For instance, for every €10 you bet, you’ll get 1 point. Then, you can exchange your points for money or other bonuses. If a casino offers such a program, we’ll give it an extra point.
- Are there bonuses on the subsequent deposits? Sometimes the welcome bonus is not the same thing as the first deposit bonus. Some gambling websites offer the welcome packages which cover several deposits! For instance, you can get bonuses on your first five or ten deposits! In some cases, apart from bonuses, you can also get free spins. So if a casino offers you not only the first deposit bonus, but something more, this is good.
- Are the wagering requirements fair? We have already explained to you how the wagering requirements work. Now it is time to find out which wagering requirements are nice and which of them will make you suffer. According to our rating system, the best casinos are the ones in which wagering requirements are not more than 40 times the bonus amount, or 20 times the sum of your deposit and bonus. Besides, it is essential to check how different games contribute to the wagering requirements. Some casinos have really long lists of games that contribute much less than 100%, and this can be a problem. Another potential issue is the time - some websites only give you several days (or hours) to meet extremely high wagering requirements.
Get your best bonus!
Unfortunately, there are not so many online casinos with bonuses that get the highest score from us. But we are doing our best to help you find the best offers! There are several filters that you can use to sort the promos, so the process of searching will be easy and pleasant. Good luck to you!