How does a casino bonus benefit you?
Essentially, a casino bonus benefits you when it comes to getting your feet wet at a particular casino. These offers are engineered to help you get started playing immediately at the casino you have made an account with. You could almost consider it like a trial run, where you’re able to test the casino operations and the games.
Not all casino offers are created equal, however, and some are definitely more desirable than others.
What Types of Casino Bonuses are There?
You may be surprised to learn that there are quite a few casino bonuses that players can take advantage of. Now, it’s hard to say what the best online casino bonuses are, but as we mentioned previously - some definitely are better than others.
We decided it’d be useful to give a brief introduction to each online casino bonus that you’re most likely going to run into.
- Match Deposit: up to a particular amount set by the casino, the given casino will 100% match what you deposit.
- Percentage Bonus: very similar to the match deposit, but instead of being a 100% match, it’ll be a given percentage such as 50%, for example.
- No Deposit: this bonus allows you to play games at the casino without actually depositing any money.
- Cash Back: in this instance, the online casino will return some of your bankroll that you’ve used while playing.
- Loyalty/V.I.P.: many online casinos have a program that rewards you for playing there. Each bet you wager typically earns you points, allowing you to climb their V.I.P. ladder, earning you special rewards and bonuses from the casino.
- Reload Bonus: these are specifically for returning players of a specific casino. It is kind of like the percentage or matching deposits that we just mentioned in that you’ll get a percentage extra on deposits you make either at the beginning of a month or specific days of the week.
- High Roller Deposit: this one is geared for those that like to make big deposits or build an established history of large wagers within the casino. Typically the casino will offer very nice percentage based bonuses for big deposits. The threshold usually starts from €500.
- Refer-A-Friend: exactly what it sounds like - you’ll invite all of your friends and when they sign up, you’ll get a piece of the action.
- Specific Payment Method: some places will really prefer that you use a particular service for your banking. In order to make that more enticing, they’ll give you a percentage bonus just for using the specific payment service they prefer.
What About Wagering Requirements?
Aside from just knowing what bonuses there are, you need to know how they work. When you read the terms and conditions of a particular casino, they’ll have the wagering requirements that you have to meet before you can withdraw your winnings.
It basically works like this: the bonus is attached to a specific multiple of whatever your initial deposit is. This means that you’d have to play or wager that amount before you get your winnings.
For example, let’s say that the casino has stipulated a 20x bonus wagering requirement. This effectively means that you need to play games and make bets that would equal the amount of 20 times whatever your bonus amount was before you cash out.
Let’s say Johnny threw in €50 for his first deposit and takes advantage of a 100% match bonus - giving him €100 to start playing with. Per the 20x requirement, he’d have to hit the value of €1,000 before he will withdraw his winnings.
Why do these requirements exist? Essentially, wagering requirements are set in place to help deter folks out there who try to abuse these bonus systems. At the end of the day, these are created to promote users to play and get a feel for the casino and ultimately have a bit of fun.
Watch Out for Sticky Bonuses
We’d be remiss if we did not extend a word of caution about sticky bonuses - otherwise known as phantom bonuses. These are not actually called phantom bonuses, but moreso describes the type of bonus they are, if you could even call them a bonus.
It’s very simple: when you are reading the T&C of a bonus from a casino, you may come across a piece of text that says “for play purposes only and cannot be withdrawn”. This is exactly what it sounds like in that the initial bonus amount given to you will be automatically removed upon withdrawal of your winnings. Casinos that do this are absolute Grade A Assholes, and we avoid them.
This information is rarely given up front and is usually found deep within the T&C text. With our reviews, we dig around and try to find these ourselves, but always read the terms and conditions yourself to know what you’re getting into.
Casino bonuses are a great way to get your start at any given casino and while it’s important to know which ones are out there and how they work - they are just the first step in your gaming adventure. Know them, understand them, and get the maximum amount of playtime you can from them.
Click here to check out our highest rated casinos with your new knowledge of casino bonuses!